Primary Functions of the Directorate are:
- To administer, supervise, control and plan programs for the development of Technical Education in the state both at the Degree and Diploma levels.
- To formulate Engineering studies and courses, recognition of new courses to examine and recommend for opening of new Technical Institutions in the State both at the Degree and Diploma level.
- To conduct inspections and periodical reviews of existing Technical Educational Institutions to maintain the standard of Quality Education.
- To conduct the Diploma Examinations and to award the Diploma Certificates to successful candidates under State Council of Technical Education, Assam.
- To conduct Joint Admission Test for admission into B.E. Course (Lateral Entry) and MCA Course in different State Engineering Colleges of Assam.
- To sanction academic approval to Govt. and aided Institutions.
- To provide suitable norms and procedures for selection of students for admission of students to Polytechnics.
- To release grants and other facilities to aided institutions
- To select and depute teaching faculty for higher studies.
- To provide NEC and State & Institutional Merit Scholarship.
- To select candidates for minority Merit cum Means Scholarship.
- Improving access to Higher and Technical Education for making inclusive growth
- Improving quality of Higher and Technical Education
- Introduction of vocational courses and Integrated skill development
- Reorientation of course curriculum and introduction of new courses
- Faculty Development